Volunteer service is something you do good for an individual/group, an entity, or an organization without expecting anything in return. If you have earned and officially logged a minimum of 100 service hours, you will be recognized at graduation with a service cord to wear with pride!
Juniors and Seniors can also earn a Civics Seal on their diploma through completion of 50 hours of community service and other academic requirements. Click here for more information about the Civics Seal.
Please note the following information below:
- You must officially log your hours using the Knights Give Back Form during the eligibility period for each school year between July 1 – June 30. The deadline for Seniors to submit hours for the current school year is May 1st.
- Hours will be randomly verified with the organization and all self-reported hours will be validated by a JCHS faculty member. Any false reporting will automatically disqualify a student from participating in the program.
- You must use your LCPS email address when completing the Knights Give Back Form. An email confirmation will be sent to your LCPS email account after you have submitted your hours.
What activities count for volunteer service?
Below are some examples of volunteer service activities:
- Key Club
- Interact Club
- National Honor Society
- Community Volunteering (Hospitals, Libraries, Senior Citizen Homes, etc.)
- School Wide Service Projects
- Non-fundraising Volunteer Service
- Team Service Projects
- Religious Affiliation Service (Church)
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts
- Non-Graded, Optional Performances for Band, Chorus or Orchestra
- Athletic Team Managers (no more than 15 hrs.)
- Highway Clean-up Projects
- Soup Kitchens
- Running for a Cause (Charity 5ks)