By: Lauren Wilson
Hundreds of lives taken from children at a place they are supposed to feel safe
Their parents despair like a thousand bullets to the heart
Feelings that shouldn’t be felt but are
Letting this happen we are ruining our future
A problem that is getting bigger and bigger but not better
Lost and confused we try to find our way to the light
We search for something to patch up our hearts but nothing works
My heart is sorrowful and cries for the families that are grieving
Our future is in danger and we need to start fixing it
We are letting these pure souls go
Begging for them to be saved but doing nothing ourselves
It is time to stop the number of lives taken from going up
It is time to take action
- I chose to do an inspired poem.
- The source of my inspiration was the recent problem with school shootings.
- The tone of my poem hopeful.
- The theme of my poem is it’s time to take action and prevent school shootings.
- A. “Their parents sorrows like a thousand bullets to the heart”
- The type of figurative language is simile
- This figurative language contributes to the theme development by explaining how the parents feel about losing their children and why it is important to take action.
- “ My heart is sorrowful and cries for the families that are grieving”
- The type of figurative is personification.
- This figurative language contributes to the theme development by explaining how I feel about this issue and another reason why it is important to take action.
- One revision I made was I changed the word “sad” to the word “sorrowful”.
Another revision I made was I changed the word “sorrow” to the word “despair”.
- It was easy to write this poem because I felt strongly about this subject and had a lot to say about it.
- I am very satisfied with my final draft because I think it has a lot of emotion.