By: Kaitlinh Nguyen
Every Friday you lure me,
Like a candy to a child.
You bring my bitter mood
Up like Christmas morning.
Programmed like a computer,
My automatic fingers dial and call the pizza bakery.
I watch the clock,
Waiting for my treasure.
The door rings.
Familiar smells invade my home,
And you arrive.
I guard you like a soldier,
Incase an intruder tries to steal.
My prized possession.
Like a missing piece of a puzzle
I take a slice of you,
Yummy bits of cheese and bread
Invade my taste buds
And I welcome you with open arms.
Distracted by the tv,
I reach for another slice of you,
But unlike my stomach,
The box is empty.
Like a child finished with their candy,
I still craved more of you.
- I published an ode poem.
- I chose to write about pizza because in my family we frequently order pizza and pizza is one of my favorite foods.
- The tone of my poem is, appreciative.
- The theme of my poem is that pizza is enjoyable and appetizing.
- “Every Friday you lure me, like a candy to a child.”, this figurative language is a simile, and it helps the reader relate to how a child fells about candy. This shows how the pizza is appetizing. “Like a child finished with their candy, I still craved more of you.”, this is another example of a simile, and it helps the reader understand how enjoyable the pizza was.
- I changed the word good to scrumptious, because it was a more descriptive word. I also added another simile to the end of my poem. I added ” Like a child finished with their candy, I still craved more of you.”
- This poem was not difficult to write because there are a lot of senses associated with pizza. It was easy to describe the smell and taste.
- I am satisfied with my final draft, I revised and edited it, and got a peer reviewer to go over my final draft.