By Matthew Hembrador
I’m dying inside
Everything inside is aflame.
There is no breeze as I descend.
The feeling of neglect like a withering plant
Like an abandoned toy.
Was messed around with no care.
I was a sword being put to good use
Become dull and was discarded.
I forged a new blade
Only to be screaming as I shatter.
Thrown into a furnace
Only to feel the fire again.
Plunged into the dark abyss walking aimlessly
I want to get out
I can’t get out
But I go back to the start
Finally waking up with a sense of relief.
But reality cannot be remolded.
My soul is being corrupted.
My soul is at disarray.
I’m empty like a hollow shell.
I’m falling down
To see the fiery hell
Why can it not stop
It’s never ending
I want to rest
I want to be released from these chains
My life was twisted
Looping back to where I started
But now I can sleep
And be at ease.
- I wrote an Emotion Poem.
- I chose to write on depression because it gives me the feeling that life isn’t fair.
- The tone of this story is melancholy.
- The theme of the poem is that you can’t recover from everything.
- “I was a sword being put to good use, became dull and was discarded,” is a metaphor comparing a person with a sword. This figurative language contributes to the poem because it shows that the person thought he had a purpose, to only find out that he was being used.
- One revision I did was adding “I’m falling,” to show that the character’s problem is getting worse. Another revision I did was change “a mess” to “disarray” to deepen the vocabulary.
- Writing this poem wasn’t hard or easy, because the poem was able to flow, but coming up with the story got me caught up a bit.
- I’m satisfied with the final draft because the poem turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to be.