Abby

Writing in Community

High School Artifact

on September 20, 2019

As I am staring at this bright yellow softball with red seams, countless memories come to mind. I started playing softball when I was five years old, and I can’t imagine what my life would be like without it. I have met so many people from this sport that have had such an important impact on my life. When I think of the people that I have shared some of the greatest memories with, my teammates are the first people that come to mind. Since the game of softball relies so much on team chemistry, the girls I have played with over the years have become my sisters. I could go on forever about all the teammates I have had and about how they all hold a special place in my heart. In particular, I have met two of my best friends through softball. Emily and Hannah are two of my former teammates who I still keep in touch with even though they’re busy playing collegiate level softball now. Emily is a freshman at the University of Connecticut and Hannah is a sophomore at Lafayette College. My friendship with Emily and Hannah is super special because even though we spend the majority of our time together working on and practicing softball, we know every detail about each other’s lives. If anything is going on in my life, these two girls are the first to know. It is crazy to think that the two people I tell everything to may have never been in my life if I did not decide to start softball so long ago.

7 Responses to “High School Artifact”

1. Kassidy says:

Reading you piece, it surprised me how much I can relate to you. I have played soccer for about as many years as you and my teammates are like my second family. When you said “It is crazy to think that the two people I tell everything to may have never been in my life if I did not decide to start softball so long ago” hit home with me. You showed vulnerability and a side that sports are great and all, but the people you meet playing sports are even better. I hope you stay in touch with them and keep playing the sport you love!

2. 770167 says:

I think it’s incredible how such a simple object brings up so many memories for you and how it represents these relationships that mean so much to you! I love the way you introduced the other girls in a way that shows the impact they’ve had on you and gives us a look at this chemistry you describe having with them. A softball is clearly such an important artifact for you and the way you incorporate your identity in it shows the depth of how much it means to you!

3. Kaley says:

This is such a great explanation of why softball is so important to you. I really liked how you started off with: “As I am staring at this bright yellow softball with red seems”. It describes the simplicity of the softball which emphasizes your point that the softball is not always the most important part. The relationships and experiences you got seem to be of most importance to you because of your relationship with Hannah and Emily. I also liked how at the end you put it in perspective by saying you wouldn’t have these close relationships if you didn’t make the decision to play softball.

• Abby Schaub says:

It was not until after writing my post that I added “As I am staring at this bright yellow softball with red seams”. As I was proofreading, I wanted to add a hook that would bring the reader in. I am extremely glad that this lured you in to read the rest of my post! Additionally, I am glad that you were able to understand how important my friends Emily and Hannah mean to me.

4. AMANDA says:

I loved how I was able to get to know you better through the piece. I was able to feel the love you have for the sport through the passionate tone. Also, I thought it was interesting when you added “Since the game of softball relies so much on team chemistry, the girls I have played with over the years have become my sisters.” After this, when you talked about two of your best friends which you have met through the sport, I understood that it is more than a game for you, but almost like a home.

5. Zach says:

I liked this post from the very beginning. Your line at the start really lures the reader in with your use of descriptive words such as “red seems.” But beyond that I loved the amount of passion you included in this post, I loved that I could feel how much this meant to you from your formal diction and your tone. But, most of all I liked how much of what you are saying is relatable to a lot of people. Overall, I found this post moving.

6. Casey says:

I absolutely loved your piece because of how much I could relate to it. Growing up, I met most of my friends through baseball as it was an activity I was engaged in every second of every day. I credit the sport for allowing me to build special relationships that I will always cherish, just like you and softball. Unfortunately, I stopped playing baseball in middle school, but I will always remember the memories it gave me, and I am sure the same is for you and softball.